Wednesday, August 18, 2004

No cash, no cheque, no service

Earlier this year Darlene and I returned to Oregon, this time to visit the coast and maybe get in some beach action. Yes I know the ocean water is quite cold still in early summer - by beach action, I basically mean strolls in the sand. I only need to see and hear the surf, I don't need to be in it.

Anyway, there were 2 things about our stay in Oregon that I wanted to pass on to you folks, in case you've never been there. Firstly, Oregon has no such thing as 'self serve' at their gas stations. Every station is 'full serve', I think it is some kind of employment initiative (anyone who knows different can correct me in the comments). That takes a little getting used to, as I'd much rather fill the tank myself - I don't know why, I just do.

Well, in one town in Oregon, the gas station we stopped at had an additional quirk. They didn't take credit. That's right - no credit cards! Now I heard the kid who filled my car tell me this, but I guess some other poor soul never heard the announcement. He had gotten his van filled up and had gone inside to get some munchies and pay. When he pulled out his credit card they told him no credit. He was in shock. They told him he could pay with a personal cheque, cash, debit card - just no credit card. He didn't know what to do and I never stayed around long enough to find out how he resolved the situation, but it was obvious he didn't have the cash on him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Karl, this is Adam

The reason for the full services is because of too many accidents in regards to people pumping their own gas.
It's actually the law that you can't pump your own gas there.