Saturday, August 14, 2004

R2D2! You missed a spot....

I seem to remember reading stories when I was a kid about what the future held in store regarding new technology that was going to make our lives easier. One of the things I remember well was the household robot. It was going to be our butler, cleaning staff, friend, security guard.

Well, that kind of robot still seems a little ways away, but in the meantime there's the Trilobite by Electrolux. Yes, I know about the Roomba, but it seems like the Pinto of robotic vacuums (my apologies to any Pinto owners). For the BMW of robotic pets, you gotta get the Trilobite. Of course, the latest technology also garners the highest pricetag ($1800CDN), so I don't think I have to tell you Darlene dismissed the idea of buying one wholly and completely.

Of course what she fails to comprehend is that owning one of these beauties isn't just about not having to do the vacuuming anymore. It's about studying new technology in action - watching the Trilobite navigate around tables, under chairs and beds - its sophisticated sonar helping it avoid obstacles without even touching them. I mean, it's like a modern living game of Pac-Man! I could see myself strategically placing dirt on the floor and waiting to see if the little dickens can clean it all up. Heck, I'd even offer to bring the thing to my neighbours' with the cats - just to see how they react to this metallic beast chasing them all around the place.....hehehehe

No comments: