Friday, September 10, 2004

Hockey night in Greedsville

In light of the looming NHL lockout, I feel the need to say a few words about our beloved national sport.

I have never been able to understand why an athlete needs to make several million dollars a year. I do understand that athletes often have short careers due to injury, etc. But if an athlete is that great, they are also going to make a good chunk of change from endorsements. I think there should be a salary cap and I would likely make it much lower than even the owners want it. I believe that an athlete can earn extra money through performance bonuses. That way, we won't have athletes sitting back once they've secured their multi-million dollar salaries.

Yes, I know it's easy for me to say all this when I have never been in their shoes, but something has to be done before ticket prices get so high that everyone chooses to stay home and watch on TV. It's bad enough we lost 2 Canadian NHL teams, some say it's just a matter of time before we lose more.

No comments: