Thursday, March 31, 2005

I'll tell you why I went through the red light officer...

Panhandlers are an creative bunch. The latest generation have come up with an innovative venue to solicit for funds - standing on the median between both sides of a road at a traffic light. This gives them convenient access to drivers in their cars while they're stopped at red lights. Wonderful. It's bad enough we have to deal with this kind of solicitation on sidewalks downtown, or in mall or grocery store parking lots. Now I have to deal with this at the damned stop light? May the bumpers of a thousand Dodge Ram trucks (with a hemi) leave imprints on your backpacks.

Maybe I'm just stereotyping and the number of people stuck in Calgary on the way to (wherever) with no money for the bus (or food, or coffee, or a hotel) has reached epidemic proportions...

1 comment:

Karl Plesz said...

I'm being facetious. (What me? Facetious? Shut up! I wasn't talking to you!)

Seriously, it's not the panhandling I have a problem with, it's the venue we've never had to deal with before. More importantly, it's the sign they use suggesting they need trip money to get to their next detination, yadda yadda. Whatever.