Tuesday, June 21, 2005

The minority ruins it for the rest of us

I was appalled to find that 21% who participated in an online poll here in Calgary admitted they would do nothing to conserve water during a current mandatory water restriction in this city due to the silt-ridden rivers.

I have nothing but disgust for these people and although I am not a vengeful person, I hope the City shows them no mercy if they are caught. Water is our second most precious resource (after air) and it is the greed and ignorance of people like this who ruin it for the rest of us. Shame on you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, brother

Jeff

Anonymous said...

I'm sure they'd be the first people in line to bitch when they suddenly don't have any!

Anonymous said...

Amen!

The abuse of our natural recourses in this country will be our demise.

I know Alberta's cash cow is oil and because of that a lot of revenue goes to the different social programs. The problem is when these companies break or disregard environmental laws. Yes they are fined a lot of the times but to them a fine of 1-4 million is the cost of doing business when you’re pulling in hundreds of millions in a year. The real cost for breaking environmental laws far out weights the fine they are given.

I was so happy when the wind farm in southern Alberta was started and now there is talk of doing this on the west coast. There have been positive steps to becoming better stewards of our resources but it needs to continue, but it has to start with each person. People that willingly will waste water with no disregard should be fined.

I like what Finland does. When you get caught speeding your ticket is based on how much you make. So if you don't have a large income you ticket is less than if you are a big CEO. I heard of a CEO that got caught speeding and his ticket was roughly 80,000. Make it hurt. We should do the same here.

Watch "The Corporation". I believe it's a direct reflection on our negligence and ignorance as a whole.

I shall get off my soapbox now. This stuff really pisses me off.