Sunday, July 10, 2005

It's free - how can it be good?


There is no free lunch. Nothing comes free without strings attached. You get what you pay for. Well, sometimes free is good and AVG anti-virus is one of those things.

A long time ago I had gotten tired of having to keep renewing my subscription to Norton. McAfee didn't fare much better. I've helped countless people with computer problems and a lot of them were related to the bizarre behavior of both of those products. I had heard about AVG, from Grisoft and gave it a try. I've been using it for over 2 years and it's still running on my systems. I heartily recommend it to all my clients. So how do they do it? I have my theories. They're based on the fact that Grisoft does sell a version of their product - to corporations. It's a smart idea. Let people who can afford to pay subsidize those who can't - or won't. It's not a 100% perfect product - I have had some update issues. But I just keep trying manual updates until the server responds. I have not been infected since using it. I like that it is not complicated to use, unlike other products. If your subscription is about to run out, I urge you to give it a try.

No comments: