Monday, October 17, 2005

Whatever.......(well, there goes rule # 3)

There's a weblog useability guide that tries to educate us on the proper protocol of blogging, by listing the top 10 design mistakes of blogs:

1. No Author Biographies - You don't really want to know that much about me, so there's no need to bore you with details. If you were curious, you'd ask me via e-mail or Google me.
2. No Author Photo - I got that one covered. It just may not be recent. I look like an old fart in real life.
3. Nondescript Posting Titles - I take pride in dreaming up nondescript, cute headlines. If you insist on taking that away from me, I'm taking my ball and going home....
4. Links Don't Say Where They Go - Not guilty, by reason of insanity your honour. I have no idea where I'm going, you expect me to tell you where you're going?
5. Classic Hits are Buried - What they mean by this is "don't let your best material get lost in the archives". Well, I figure most people are going to find me via searches on obscure topics, so they'll find what they want anyway. Besides, I don't know about you, but if I discover a good blog, I will eventually scour the archives looking for past gems.
6. The Calendar is the Only Navigation - Guilty. Sorry. I don't get paid enough to care...
7. Irregular Publishing Frequency - Unlike most amateur bloggers who are only in it for possible fame, I do this for the possible fame and the need to hear myself talk. Don't worry, this aforementioned need will not allow me to let this blog lapse, unless I'm unable to access a computer.
8. Mixing Topics - I have many topics! It's a topic smorgasbord! So sue me. It's a personal blog! Not a freaking newspaper column.....
9. Forgetting That You Write for Your Future Boss - It's not my future boss I'm worried about. Which is why I avoid writing about work.
10. Having a Domain Name Owned by a Weblog Service - When I am showered with sufficient funds to justify my own domain name, I'll consider it. Until then, I'll faithfully remain a Blogger tramp.

2 comments:

Canuck Girl said...

I adore you. I love the way you view the world. I'm behind on commenting, but I check in farly frequently. Thanks for making me smile. This post is no exception.

Karl Plesz said...

[blush] My head! My head! Don't stop! I think that's the single best thing anyone's said on here - ever. Thanks.