Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Dollar for dollar - movies beat music

People often ask me - "Karl, why do you download music off the Net, but you still buy movies on DVD?" For me, it's all about value. I've spent a small fortune on my music collection (once on albums and again on CD), so I feel like I've made my contribution to supporting the industry. But I don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth anymore. So now I download stuff to check it out. If I really, really like it - I still buy it.

But here's the thing - a $25 music CD only really gives me 40 to 60 minutes of aural enjoyment - assuming every song is great, which is rarely the case. For the same price, I can buy a 90-120 minute movie, with awesome visuals, great music, and all the extras that'll fit. That's a much better value-for-the-dollar. So I have no problem with spending that. It's the CD that usually leaves me feeling ripped off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are preachin' to the choir my brotha :D

Jeff