Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Sony, meet Starforce.......Starforce, meet Sony

After reading this article on Starforce copy-protection software (and the follow-up describing how Starforce's lawyers have threatened to sue the writer of the article), I decided to see if I had it on my system, since I do did have Silent Hunter III installed on my computer. Sure enough - there it was. Well too bad, but I just bid adios to Silent Hunter III and the sneaky sub you sailed in on.

I don't have anything against copy-protection per se, but if it can affect the way way system operates and leaves potential security holes on my system - then I want no part of it. My bought copy of Silent Hunter is about to go on sale on Ebay and it will be a cold day in hell before I buy any other game known to contain Starforce. There is a boycott underway in the gaming community against games that come packaged with dangerous anti-copying software. Pffft! Count me in bro'.

Looks like the Sony rootkit fiasco is only the tip of the iceberg........

No comments: