Sunday, January 29, 2006

This better be good.......

I like food. A lot. Yet I have this irrational fear of trying a new dish at a restaurant. Well, actually it's more of a risk management decision, where once I find a dish (at a particular restaurant) that I like, I'm afraid that trying a new one could pale in comparison to the dish I like. It's not an unfounded fear either, as I have been in many situations where when I tried something else, I was supremely disappointed - and ended up wishing I had just gotten the thing I knew that I liked.

This fear extends itself to restaurants themselves too. I have been in Calgary for almost 12 years, yet have never tried Caesar's Steak House. The reason? I've had good steak elsewhere and I couldn't see a need to have steak somewhere where the bill (for two people - no booze) would come to over $100. Well, just for fun, Darlene and I decided to give it a try. Oh my freaking God! It was the best steak I have ever had in my life. What a mistake it was ignoring this place for so long. Now mind you, I would never agree to go to this place more than once a year - $105! Mind you, now the measly $35 restaurant bills we get at the usual places don't seem so bad anymore.

No comments: