Thursday, February 16, 2006

Mmmmm................ sesame-ee

There is a treat my Oma (go figure) used to give me as a kid, called Halvah. It amazes me to this day how few people know about this candy. I was also surprised to find out it was a candy, considering that I used to get it served as a filling in a sandwich. Seriously. Anyway, if you've never tried it, you could probably find it at any Jewish, Arabic, or Greek store. Some supermarkets sell it too in the deli section. It's basically sesame seed paste (tahini) and honey formed into a loaf, although the kind I remember as a kid was in a can - with a camel on the label. It's very sweet, but it has a texture like no other candy you've ever tried. The best way I can describe it - it's like flaky, crumbly fudge. You should experience it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I swear to God I was thinking about the camel stuff yesterday. How weird is that??? I swear.
Dad used to eat it in front of the tv. Popped into my head on the way home from work. Heidi

Karl Plesz said...

Hmmmm. Maybe it was Dad I remember having it. You sure you weren't thinking sardines? Dad loved him some sardines. Anyway, my memories of childhood are so distorted now.....

Anonymous said...

Well he probably ate it cause his parents did, right? But yeah we had it in the fridge at home, too, growing up. I am quite sure Oma gave it to you, though. Sounds right :) Heidi