Sunday, April 23, 2006

It's ele-mental!

If you've ever wanted to know more about your Periodic Table of Elements, this site does the job with decent graphics. If only we had access to stuff like this when I went to school. Of course, when I went to school, there were no pictures. The teacher had to draw everything............ with charcoal.

My fave quote from the site: Lithium - Lithium carbonate therapy has become standard treatment for manic depression, although its action on the brain is still not fully understood.

"Yeah, let's give this depressed person Lithium. Hey look! They're not depressed anymore. I wonder what it's doing to their brain? Awww, who cares - let's give them more...."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My name is Jason Gorman and I am 45 years old. My wife was taking 1200mg of Lithium Carbonate daily prescribed by the doctor for over two years. During this time no lab work was ever ordered. It built up in her system over a period of time. She was taken to the ER where she almost died. Her pulse was down to 31 and her blood pressure as low as 43 over 17. She under went kidney dialysis continuously for over 30 hours in ICU. She spent a total of 5 days in the hospital. I strongly recommend against taking Lithium. At least have periodic Lab Work done. Also if you do take this medication look up the side effects on the internet.

My wife has experienced some of these side effects-
Dizziness, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Confusion, Tremors, Muscle Weakness, Loss of Bladder Control, Inability to talk

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Jason Gorman