Saturday, April 22, 2006

Just what are we getting for $60+ per month?

I often rant about the lame cable channel packages we're forced to buy. You know how it works - each package has some decent choices but each one comes with a collection of real groaners too. To each their own, of course - but I have to pay for a lot of stations I'm not interested in to access the ones I want. Shaw has made it possible to get some of their lineup a-la-carte, but by the time I've paid for so many duds, getting more interesting channels becomes too expensive.

I think it has something to do with the crapola networks that could never make it on their own being subsidized by the ones everyone wants. Well..... enough. It's time to stop keeping sucky cable-TV channels on life support on the backs of good ones. Barring that, I have another option - if everyone had to buy every channel, surely the price of the whole spectrum of offerings would drop, no? And why does the cable company need to charge us more for any networks anyway? Isn't that what advertising is for? We still have stations with advertising. I don't care about ads. Put ads on every channel and make TV free again - dammit.

No comments: