Friday, May 26, 2006

Pining for space

Of all the things I've seen in science fiction (that were plausible), there's one thing that I had hoped would have materialized by now - a modern orbiting space station. The kind like we saw in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Essentially a space-port / resort in space. Why? Have you seen what earth looks like from up there? No - me neither. But based on the pictures I've seen, I want to be able to see that - live - with my own eyes. All we have now is the 'ghetto in orbit' (the International Space Station). It's got so many problems, it's a wonder the thing is still in one piece. I think the only way we're going to get off this abused planet and explore the galaxy is to build an orbiting station that regular people can visit. Once they get the taste for space - they'll vote for further exploration.

No comments: