Friday, June 30, 2006

Ubuntu GOOD!

I'm preparing an introduction to Ubuntu Linux which I'll be delivering in the fall (through Chinook Learning Services - if anyone in Calgary is interested) and decided - OK- was convinced by a good friend to upgrade the version of Ubuntu I had been using (5.10 Breezy Badger) to the latest version now available (6.06 Dapper Drake). Perhaps I am conditioned not to enjoy upgrades thanks to my long history with Windows, so forgive me if I approached this task with trepidation. Well, my worries were completely unfounded. As part of Ubuntu's regular 'hey - you have updates waiting for you!' feature, a.k.a. the update manager application, I simply hit the upgrade button and let Ubuntu do its magic. Ubuntu downloaded all the files it needed (a high speed connection is a must here), installed the new stuff and got rid of the chaff. All by itself. No problems. I am now the happy user of Ubuntu 6.06! The best part.......... all the little personalized changes I had made, like upgrading to Firefox 1.5..... preserved. That was slick.

No comments: