Sunday, November 26, 2006

If I had my own radio station - Esthero

It really is a shame that modern radio (around these parts anyway) has to be so exclusive. If I had my own radio station, I'd introduce you to Canadian artist Jen-Bea Englishman - aka Esthero. Her unique voice sets her apart from the mainstream. She has a new album out, but her debut Breath From Another released in 1998 is a favourite in my collection. The lead off single - That Girl, would be the most familiar tune if you watched the video channels in 1998. But it's the song Country Livin' (The World I Know) that has the perfect balance of production values and vocal. Here the instruments take more of a back seat to her vocal chords. And this girl has a very unique - achy, breathy voice – with just a hint of the kind of power reserved for the great jazz singers. Ever heard of Feist? Vocally, they are very related.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! I wish you did have your own radio station. You know Karl, you should write music or restaurant reviews for a living. You really have a talent for entertaining people.

Nancy

Karl Plesz said...

Thank you Nancy [bow]