Monday, January 29, 2007

AAAaaaheMM!

I have to say in advance that I mean no harm by making the following observation. Because that's all it is - an observation. I used to think maybe it was just me, but Darlene noticed it before I did.

Oriental folks, especially older folks, seem to have this propensity for raucously clearing their throats in public. And I do mean...... loudly. That's not to say that other people don't clear their throats in public. But I seem to notice Oriental people doing it the most. I don't get it. Is it just more noticeable when they do it? Or are they committing this act more often? Is it some sort of non-verbal signal that we are not attuned to? Can anyone shed any light on this?

2 comments:

Joseph-Dolores Poliakon said...

Karl --- Over the years, I have lived in Asia, in the Orient (Japan, China, Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Philippines), in cultural immersion. My personal experience database contains no experience-based evidence that oriental Asians have any greater "propensity for raucously clearing their throats in public" then do any other folks.

I think the sample sized upon which you based your observation is too small, and Calgary-Centric. Your observation is likely more anecdotal then it is objective.

I would guess that breathing Calgary’s cold, wintry air causes most residents to have occasion to clear their throats, from time to time.

junebee said...

The Chinese believe it is harmful to retain phlegm, mucous, etc, in the body. Therefore, spitting and related functions such as throat-clearing, sneezing, coughing, and burping are very common in public areas of China.
No effort is made to conceal the act. There was recently a campaign to decrease public spitting in Beijing, since it's going to be the site of the 2008 Olympics. But old habits die hard.