Monday, February 19, 2007

I should have been a private investigator

Somewhere in my daily inter-tubes travels, I stumbled across a site showcasing Penn Jillette's home, known as The Slammer, in Las Vegas. I thought to myself, I said, "Self - I wonder if I could determine just where in Las Vegas Penn Jillette's home is, just through sheer investigative brilliance." So I set out to do just that.

It took me 20 minutes to find the house. 17 minutes of which was just plain random perusal of aerial photos of Las Vegas, 3 minutes of which was eureka I know exactly how to find it moments of genius. I can now honestly say that I now know, based on an aerial photo on Google Maps, exactly where Penn Jillette lives. He doesn't actually live in Las Vegas proper. Would anyone care to attempt a guess on how I did it?

P.S.: Let's respect the guy's privacy and not blab to the world where the house is if you figure it out, OK?

4 comments:

yoo hoo said...

You looked for BOLD color on a mapsite, on the ourskirts of Lost Wages and viola' there you were.

Karl Plesz said...

That's how I started out, but it was taking way too long. I needed a method to narrow down my search area.

Anonymous said...

The street number is posted in a couple of pictures. Now who's to say if it's a North, South, East, or West street number, but judging from the mountains ranges (I'm a Vegas resident also) it looks like he's in the South West. So, do some quick searches on Google Maps along the South and West axies of where this number would fall, looking for a place that PeeWee Herman could have designed, and then you're there.

And I'm going to give Penn his privacy too. I'm kinda paranoid, if I was famous I would have been more careful about what private information other people posted about me.

Karl Plesz said...

And that's exactly how I did it.