Sunday, April 15, 2007

100 things in 100 days - number 63

63. I have a great interest in city planning.

In hindsight, maybe I should have gone into civic life. Either as a politician or a city planner. I have an unnaturally strong interest in city planning. Ask me what Calgary has done right and wrong with its development and growth and I'll have your ear for several hours. That computer game Sim City? More addictive than crack cocaine.

So what are my platform promises? Well, if you vote for me, I'll get that ring road finished sooner rather than later. It's time to consider raising some or all of the C-Train line downtown up above the +15 elevated walkway level so we can ease traffic and increase the safety of the system. In fact, we need to make transit more desirable to commuters, but right now taking transit is akin to herding cattle. Bus riders often wait for several buses to go by before being able to board one. C-Train rides aren't much better. One councillor suggested removing seats. This individual obviously wouldn't be caught dead riding a C-Train to work, would they?

It should always be easier and cheaper (preferably free) to park a motorcycle, moped, hybrid or miniature car (like Smart cars) at a pay parking site - even private sites like hospitals. Some measure of a perk should also be extended to cars arriving in the downtown core full of passengers.

We need to address sprawl. There's no wonder our city has trouble maintaining its infrastructure with the ultra low density we have. We need incentives for property owners to ease the shortage of rental properties. The conversion of rentals to condos has to be limited.

2 comments:

Gale said...

I got hooked on Sims for awhile. But I was all about trying to destroy a city. I was really good at it another reason I am not in politics

junebee said...

When I was in college, I had a boyfriend that was a grad student in urban planning. Sadly, I found it one of the most boring topics I have ever been privileged to learn about!