Saturday, June 16, 2007

Mind................ going.............

Lately I've been aware of a change in how I perceive things. I mentioned this in passing last August, but I feel it necessary to mention it again.

I don't know what it is, but you tend to look at things differently as you get older. I find myself noticing and appreciating things that I would have ignored in my 20's or 30's. I'm not even sure it's that I never noticed these things when I was younger, or whether things take on a life of their own.

It might have something to do with life priorities. When you're young, it's the goal-driven experiences that matter most. It's not the journeys, it's the destinations. But as you get older, the attitude shifts - the destinations can wait - you're going to enjoy the journeys just as much if not more. Could it have something to do with an increased awareness of our mortality that changes our perception? Maybe. All I know is that my perception has changed and it's not even a focused perception, but a more abstract way of looking at things - almost like the awareness you would have (so I've been told) under the influence of mind-altering substances.

No comments: