Sunday, October 14, 2007

Improv a go-go

Yesterday was my first beginner's improviser course at Loose Moose. Our instructor is awesome. He knows how to make us feel at ease and I felt better knowing he was in charge.

We were supposed to be a class of 12, but I think only 10 made it. 2 of my current junior Mooser friends were there - they've already done the course once and wanted another go 'round. So at least I knew someone. Improv is hard - I've alluded to that before. But AJ (our instructor) began to lay down some of the foundation by giving us the theory behind good improv. Some of what we learned yesterday:

  • You have to be in the moment - be aware of your surroundings and your fellow improvisers
  • Never think ahead - it's what screws you up every time. If you're planning a zig while everybody just zagged, you'll be scrambling to recover.
  • Just go with the flow.
  • The story should progress logically, even be familiar in form.
  • Failure is good. It's even funny. Perfection in improv is boring.
  • Be positive. Accept offers. Take the story in a positive direction before you add any antagonism.
  • But even the antagonist must act positive.
  • Avoid descriptors. The audience needs substance. Nouns and verbs always.
So we played a lot of games that reinforced those concepts and it was fun. My analytical mind is going to need a lot of re-training, but I'm in great company. I am blessed. More fun and games next Saturday. Can't wait.

No comments: