Saturday, October 20, 2007

It coulda been a contender.....

I just caught a spin-off show from the producers of American Idol - The Next Great American Band. I had high hopes that this show would be much more relevant than Idol. Based on what I saw on Friday night's show, my hopes were completely dashed.

I don't know what I was thinking, to be honest. I mean, Idol shows get by as much on the disasters and breakdowns as the actual talent and this show was no different. By the time the first hour was up, I was already tired of the schmaltz I had witnessed, which is too bad, because there were probably some good bands that never made it to air thanks to the show's producers. I secretly hope the show is brought to Canada, but only if they do away with the tired soap opera portion and just bring the noise.

Note: It is quite possible that the use of the word schmaltz wasn't the best choice in that sentence, but it's what popped into my head. So if you look it up and discover that the various definitions don't fit the context, sue me.

No comments: