Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Karl Plesz.... pirate

I currently have many friends with substantial mp3 music collections. I have recently gotten into discussions with some of them about swapping our entire collections using our external hard drives. We're talking about 10,000+ songs being shared between 2 people in a matter of minutes.

Why do I mention this? Because I'm frantically flaunting this capability in front of the music industry's noses. On purpose. Rubbing their noses in it. Not because I'm an asshole, but because I want to make a point. You can sue your customers into oblivion, lobby the government until you're blue in the face, unless you adapt to new technology instead of fight it - you will lose.

CRIA: Here's something for you to chew on - I'm more than willing to actually BUY from an online vendor that sells DRM-free mp3 music files of signed artists to Canadians. Except that none exists! Not one. Wal-Mart, Amazon - all American services only. So if you want to get with some more of my money, find a way to sell me what I want. AAAARRGH!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The choice isn't spectacular for signed artists, but the sites are still great, DRM-free and give around 70% of sales back to the artists - radically more than traditional channels or big vendors like Amazon or iTunes. Check out emusic (my fave) or zunior (Canadian counterpart)

Bernie May said...

I use emusic myself, which carry many Canadian artists. Hadn't heard of zunior, but I'll be checking it out.

Tim Coughlin said...

I have 6786 files on my external....could always use more