Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Blade Runner - The Final Cut

I may have mentioned this before, but the movie Blade Runner really struck a chord with me and ranks as my favourite movie of all time. So it generated great excitement in the Plesz household when I heard that Ridley Scott was releasing the definitive (and final) version of Blade Runner in 3 editions. The 2 disc edition has the Final Cut version on one disc and the 'making of Blade Runner' documentary on the other. The 4 disc edition adds a disc containing 3 previous versions of the film on one disc and a disc of extra featurettes. The edition I bought is the ultimate collector's edition, which adds a disc with the rare 'work print' version of the movie, a toy model of the 'spinner' flying police car, the unicorn origami figurine I alluded to earlier and a few other little gifts, all inside a tiny silver briefcase.

After watching all the discs except for the work print edition, I can say it's a treat for any Blade Runner fan. The final cut brings re-worked video and sound, which just blew me away. No voice-over, a few subtle changes. But the question most fans figured would be answered - is Deckard a replicant? The answer is......... what do you think?

No comments: