Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Let those recipes go....

If you know me at all, you realize how much I likes me some good food. If you share my love of good food, you probably have a recipe or two that you would call your favourite. The kind that you'd not hesitate to make for company coming over. So I thought I'd dare ask - would you share your favourite recipe with me (and thereby the rest of the blog-o-sphere)?

If you're willing, send me your best recipe, preferably by email (kplesz [at] hotmail) and I'll post what I receive here, on White Noise.

But I'm not one to ask something of my readers without sharing too, so let me get things started:

Karl’s Awesome Tuna Casserole
1 ¾ cups uncooked macaroni
300g farmer’s cheese, diced in small cubes
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can flaked tuna, drained
2/3 soup can milk
2 tbsp. margarine or butter
Chives
Paprika
2 slices toast, cubed into croutons
2 tbsp. Vegetable oil

Cook macaroni in salted water with oil. Drain. At same time, combine cheese, soup, tuna, milk and margarine in bowl and nuke until hot and cheese mostly melted, stirring occasionally. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease casserole dish. Combine cooked macaroni, soup mixture in casserole dish and mix well. Generously cover mixture with chives and a little paprika. Sprinkle croutons on top and finish with a little more paprika. Bake in 350 F oven, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes. Serves 3.

Tips: For a little variety, I'll substitute plain old macaroni for other types of small pasta. I find vegetable pasta adds the wrong flavour, but used in a mixture of regular pasta isn't bad. The croûtons really add a nice texture to the casserole, so if you're into grainy breads, be sure to use your favourite bread type to make the croûtons. Don't be afraid to use a lot of paprika, especially if you like your food with a little kick. Paprika puts a nice edge on this creation. Farmer's cheese is a must, because it blends really well in a casserole and doesn't overpower the meal.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you say "2/3" package of farmers cheese, are you refering to a particular size of package, or just however much is 2/3 of the block you have...

Karl Plesz said...

I'm referring to one of those standard sized small bricks of cheese you typically find by Kraft - they're about 8" x 2" x 2" in size.

Anonymous said...

Wow Karl. That was the most amazing Tuna Casserole!

Karl Plesz said...

I just updated the cheese amount.