Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Now..... that's hockey!

I am so proud of my hockey team right now. Before the season started, the sports journalist nay-sayers were predicting that my Montreal Canadiens wouldn't even make the playoffs this year. But this team has pulled a rabbit out of the proverbial hat, building a potent power play that is tops in the league. They have clawed their way toward the top of the standings and currently are close to toppling the first place team (in the East).

Today, playing those annoying New York Rangers, they found themselves down 5 - 0. Now I don't know about you, but if I found my team 5 minutes (1/4) into the second period losing 5 - 0, I wouldn't have too much hope that the game was still in reach. But I'll be damned if my pesky Habs didn't get themselves back into the game, scoring 5 un-answered goals of their own to tie the game. Michael Ryder, who most people had insisted was trade-bound in the next few days due to his lack of goal production, scored a freaking hat-trick (3 goals) to help the team get back in the game. Then they won the game in the shoot-out. I think that was the first time in the team's history that they came back from a five to nothing deficit.

I don't think I screamed that loud in my house in a long time. Damn, that was fun to watch.

[update] The 3 goals Ryder was credited with was modified to 2 after reviewing the goals later. But in everyone's heart - he got a hat-trick.

No comments: