Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Oh burger.... how I do love thee.....

Colleagues and I were discussing hamburgers today. (Yeah...... that never happens)

One mentioned that if one wants a good burger in Ottawa, one needs to go to The Works. One look at their site and I understood why. Choose the bun, then the patty type, then the topping combination (they have 66 of them). You can even add some extra toppings if the combination you chose just doesn't quite cut it.

So, I decided I had to give them a try. Yeah..... I know.... the sacrifices I make in the name of culinary courage. Anyway, their burger is freaking awesome. A thick, hand formed patty that is cooked to perfection. I chose a topping combination that some would label boring, but would not hide the true taste of the meat - cheddar and caramelized onions. Oh yeah - this place actually knows what 'caramelized' means. Although it comes with lettuce, it's one thin leaf - again, not so much as to distract you from the reason you have a burger............ MEAT!!

There are many choices of sides to go with your burger, from various gourmet poutine selections to onion rings or zesty slaw. Their drinks are served in giant measuring glass cups. You wanna talk milkshakes? How about 37 varieties? Orange coconut for example. I'm glad I didn't get one though, or I would have been so full, you'd need a wheelbarrow to wheel me out of there. The only thing I could fault them on is their unwillingness to make fresh, home-cut fries. If they'd succumb to this, the experience would be perfect.

The Works has 5 locations in the Ottawa area.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I told you about this place last time you were here and even showed you the menu, which we have handy. Doncha remember?? Heidi

Karl Plesz said...

Obviously not........

Actually, I remember now that you mention it. I'm old and forgetful, get it?

Anonymous said...

LOL!!! H.