Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I'm pumped!

As I mentioned before, I volunteered to assist my former acting teacher conduct her current acting class for adults. To my surprise and delight, she accepted.

I wasn’t sure what kind of contribution I would be able to make to the class, but I was looking forward to participating nonetheless. Last night was the second class and I had a blast. Needless to say I put in a shameless plug for Loose Moose. Not only was I able to help, but I even shaped the direction the session would take, offering suggestions that worked out really well. In one exercise, the students were put into groups of 3 and asked to pick out a portrait from a selection of pictures. Then their task was to figure out who that character was and what they were all about. My suggestion was to keep them in their groups of 3 and have them do ‘speaking in one voice’, where they would take questions about the character (in character) from the rest of the class (the audience) and have to answer in one voice, taking cues off of each other. It was fun for them to perform, even more fun to watch, and helped reinforce a number of fundamental acting / improv concepts.

I can’t wait until next week.

No comments: