Monday, September 22, 2008

Stupid.... licensing...... regulations.......

I just found something out today that kind of threw me. I was under the (false) impression that you only needed a regular car license to ride a scooter, if the scooter was under 50cc.

Nay nay! Having a Class 5 license in Alberta allows you to ride a moped. Mopeds are defined here and there are a few more requirements, the least of which (and the only one my scooter doesn't meet) is weight. It has to weigh less than 55kg and my scooter weighs in at 74kg.

So all this time I (and likely many other scooter drivers in Alberta) was extending a myth upon our fellow riders. So you actually need a motorcycle license to ride my scooter. Luckily I have one. Someone hoping to buy my scooter does not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you selling your scooter?

Karl Plesz said...

Yeah.