Wednesday, January 21, 2009

More Apple excitement

OK, I caved. I wanted to show the universe that I am willing to prop up the electronics industry in a time of economic uncertainty. To demonstrate that I am willing to go where bolder folks have gone before, I contradicted everything I said before about the impracticality of getting an iPhone through a Canadian cell phone provider and bought an iPhone from Fido. I'd been secretly trying to figure out a way to get an iPhone with a data plan for not much more than what I pay now. I actually managed to do it. Before I paid $20 a month for 200 any time minutes. Plus fees and plus taxes. That added up to $39 per month.

Now, I'll be paying $17.50 a month for 200 daytime minutes, unlimited eves and weekends, free voicemail. No call display (whatever). Add $30 for a 1GB data plan. Total cost $50 per month for a cell phone plan I had already been budgeting $45 a month for. That's awesome! So now I finally get to see what all the fuss is about. The reason I blogged about this is so that anyone out there who is hesitating buying the phone they want because they think they can't afford it - it might be worth your while to ask your cell phone provider if they can make any kind of deal. I would argue that in these slightly deflated economic times, they might be more willing to give you what you want - to keep your business.

What they won't tell you is that because the iPhone is so popular, the phone might take a month before you get it in your hands. I ordered mine around the 17th of December and although I was told I'd probably have it by the 30th of December, I didn't get it until the 21st of January. Oh yeah - and they almost sent me the wrong model.

So now that I got it, I'll be sure to keep you all up to date with my experiences with this phone over the next few months. Because I'm all about the sharing of information.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats!
Looking forward to seeing it.

Anonymous said...

You caved...that's sad...I believed in you Karl :'(

I still dont' own a cell phone...and I still have a working rotary telephone in my apt. it's tangerine in colour and works like a charm :)

Roughriders Girl said...

OMG... remind me monday, i will show you the best apps ever!!!

Bernie May said...

Resistance is futile . . .