Monday, February 16, 2009

Save battery power on the iPhone

Some of the more savvy iPhone users out there may have already figured this out, but in case you haven't, this tip is for you. One of the biggest complaints I hear about the iPhone is that its battery doesn't last quite long enough. I also discovered after a bit of research that the things that use the most battery power are the things that communicate with any network - cell phone network and wi-fi. So the key to saving battery life is to not use the phone or wi-fi or location services all the time. Considering that my cell phone reception at work is marginal at best, I hardly ever turned my old cell phone on at work anyway. But with the iPhone, I am using it for much more than its phone function.

Enter 'airplane mode'. The iPhone has a neat feature right at the top of its settings page that lets you disable all of the 'network' features of the phone by turning airplane mode on. You can still use other aspects of the phone, just nothing that requires internet / wi-fi / cell network access. Listening to music all day in airplane mode, my battery level indicator barely budged.

This might not be an option for folks who have to be in contact with the world every waking minute of the day, but for me, it works out just fine.

No comments: