Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Just a few rambling thoughts about cars

I really like my car. It's a great balance of economy, comfort and practical performance. Because it's a relatively small car with a 4 cylinder engine, it gets very decent mileage. Acura (let's face it - Honda) were able to get a lot of pep out of the motor.

Every once in a while, I wish my car could transform into a pickup or some other type of vehicle that has a bigger cargo area (like every time we visit Ikea). While I know many people who own SUVs and trucks and love their cargo capacity, they certainly don't care much for the SUV / truck gas mileage. I long for the day when cars become modular in the sense that they can somehow convert into a different type of vehicle when required. A system that allows you to lengthen or shorten the car or trade seats for unencumbered cargo space when the need arises.

Speaking of things I'd like to see in future cars, a friend of mine now owns a (slightly used) Range Rover. It has a feature that I wish every car had - electric front windshield defrost. The filaments in the window are tiny enough not to interfere or distract in any way with the view through the glass, but man does it ever melt ice and snow fast!

No comments: