Friday, April 24, 2009

Progress

Here's something to ponder. Something occurs to me about that post I just published about growth in Las Vegas.

Imagine trying to do what I just did in the space of 5 minutes to produce that post and the picture, if it were the year 1989. Getting access to satellite photos were the domain of the military and government officials only. Making the kinds of changes I made to those photos would have taken many days of manual effort with specialized photographic equipment. Sharing my discovery with the public would have only been possible if I were a well-known journalist with a solid background in science and/or geography. Even so, the TV program or magazine article necessary to share this data would not have been available around the world.

Just goes to show what technology has made possible.

No comments: