Thursday, May 28, 2009

It's just weird how stuff like this happens

Here's a neat tale of synchronicity for you to chew on.

On Monday, I had to go downtown for an interview. I got there way too early and after seeing the 50+ person lineup at the Tim Horton's in the building where the interview would be, I chose to go to a place further afield which I knew would have a shorter lineup. I found a less crowded Tim's and purchased a hot steeped tea. Knowing I still had a bit more time to kill, I strolled along Calgary's famous downtown pedestrian street - Stephen Avenue Mall.

With 15 minutes remaining before my interview, I decided it was time to get back to the site of the meeting. As I passed through the building lobby, I spotted two men walking by and instantly thought I recognized one of them from high school in the Montreal area, whom I had not seen in 31 years. I called out "David?" He turned. I said his last name. He said "Yes...?", not quite recognizing who I was yet. I told him my name and his eyes went wide. "Holy crap! I haven't seen you in like....... since high school!"

He had to run back to work, but I gave him my contact information in hopes that he would call and we could catch up. A lot of things had to line up just right for this to have transpired. Interview in the same building. Perfect timing. My ability to recognize him with a couple seconds of exposure. I almost passed on the opportunity to call after him.

The picture is not him. I have no idea who it is. I just wanted to post a goofy grad photo.

No comments: