Saturday, January 30, 2010

Spirit is dead. Long live the Spirit Mars rover

OK I'm exaggerating a bit. I don't know if you heard, but the Mars rover Spirit finally got itself into a bind (literally), getting stuck in a sand trap that it can't get out of. It's stuck there and time will tell if it will last past the Martian winter.

Meanwhile, this xkcd comic strip does a bang-up job of immortalizing the little guy. I laughed. I cried. It's funny and sad at the same time.

We need to send a manned mission to Mars so we can bring Spirit home guys!

1 comment:

Ernest Pedersen said...

"You think the little rover is sad, that is because you're crazy." I couldn't resist I am sorry. But when the cartoonist humanizes Spirit like that, how can you not feel sorry for it?

My hope is that Rover will be able to wake up again in the next six months and continue its incredible work.

Go Spirit!