Monday, September 27, 2010

Anti-flip

I know that this statement will probably tick a lot of people off (especially if it is their livelihood), but I don't believe in flipping houses. As in - I don't think it should be allowed. I believe it contributes to higher home prices and anyone who knows a first-time home buyer in today's market (especially here in Calgary), knows that it's a wonder anyone can afford to buy a home anymore. Back in the day, I swallowed hard taking out a $150,000 mortgage. I don't know what I would do faced with a $450,000 mortgage.

I am not sure what the fair and equitable solution is to the situation, but perhaps home buyers must live in the home that they buy for at least 5 years, unless they can prove why they need to sell sooner (job transfer; retiring; children left home; becoming spouseless). From my examples you can see that it would have to be a life altering experience. I know that this wouldn't cure the over-pricing of the market overnight, but it would stop the endless number of over-inflated homes that would be available to home buyers in need and maybe they'd be worth a few tens of thousands less.

No comments: