Friday, September 17, 2010

It's all in the presentation

Besides finding great deals on everyday items on Kijiji, I also love randomly browsing the site because it provides me with an endless source of entertainment. I'm speaking of course about the slew of faux pas that I witness on a regular basis with regard to how people present the items they are trying to sell.

Like this watch, for example. In the left image, we see the watch - barely. It's out of focus and the way the protective plastic film has been placed on the watch face makes it look like the face is cracked. That's really encouraging. The way the tag is upside down is a nice touch too. Let's just pretend that we don't really care if it sells. Moving on to the right image, now the watch is in focus, but once again, the protective film on the watch face makes it look damaged. The seller even mentions in the ad that the word Automatic is not part of the watch, but part of the protective film. Hmmm. Oh! I have an idea! Maybe you should just take the film off? Would that not present the watch in a better light? Speaking of light - one word - lighting......

More on presentation. Check out that hand. My philosophy on selling stuff is simple. If you're going to use a part or all of your body to present an item for sale in a manner that will augment the look of the item, you might want to consider spiffying the model up a tad. That nail polish job is definitely not adding to the look in a positive way, unless you're going after the tattered goth crowd.

I think I'll pass on the watch out of spite.

No comments: