Saturday, November 13, 2010

15 movies that will always stick with me

(in no particular order)

Blade Runner - Arguably the most interesting sci-fi movie ever made. The movie's setting is dark, mesmerizing and insanely addicting. "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe..."

Run Lola Run - If a movie could be accused of being on steroids, this is it. The story and soundtrack suck you in, then just when you're at a comfortable run, it trips you up and sends you flying onto your ass. There's a Pink Floyd lyric from The Wall that sums it up nicely - "Wrong! Do it again!"

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - There truly is a risk in forgetting a bad situation. You'll never remember not to make the same mistakes again. Jim Carrey in one of his best roles and the delicious Kate Winslet.

Planes Trains and Automobiles - Two comedy masters turn a relatively lame story into a masterpiece. Spawned one of my favourite movie quotes: "Those aren't pillows!"

Best in Show - Every scene is improvised. The actors knew where the scene should go and the rest was left up to them. Now that's skill. Dogs and the crazy people who show them off.

Contact - I watch this movie as if it were a wish for the future. Go SETI!

The Fifth Element - If only Hollywood could make more films like this. Beautiful imagery, exquisite aliens, one of the best villains in movies (Zorg) and of course, the perfect being, Milla.

Heima - An organic concert video from the organic Sigur Ros. By the end, you not only get Sigur Ros, you get a glimpse into the eclectic culture of Iceland.

The Jerk - Steve Martin does the stupidest things and makes me laugh at every single antic. And that's all I need.

Lost in Translation - I'm Bill Murray.

Vanilla Sky - I fell in love with this movie on the opening scene, buoyed by that hypnotic song "Everything in its right place" by Radiohead. I loved how this movie messed with my mind. What a beautiful mess.

Sicko - Yeah I know. Michael Moore is the epitome of biased storytelling. But he sure drives a point home in this film. Health care around the world makes the US system look cruel. Fascinating look at how the rest of the world views 'social medicine'.

Star Wars - I was 16 when I saw this movie at the drive-in. It filled me with wonder. The adults who attended with me didn't get it.

Razor's Edge - Not Oscar worthy by any stretch, but a real stretch for Bill Murray in a serious film role with very deep meaning.

Baraka - The first wordless documentary I ever saw. Mesmerizing. The imagery tells stories far beyond the capability of words.

No comments: