Monday, October 24, 2011

My MacBook will miss my iPhone

So, when I got my new iPhone, I had an opportunity to organize and backup my data a little differently. Previously, I was backing up all of my iPhone data to my MacBook through iTunes using a cable. It worked OK, but I tend not to do a lot of syncing with my MacBook because.... well.... I'm lazy. And forgetful.

When I picked up my new iPhone the provider rep asked me how I want to set up my email. Since all of my email accounts are currently accessed through GMail, I told him I would use that. He asked if I would be using Google for my calendar as well. That had never occurred to me before. I had always been syncing my calendar with iCalendar on the MacBook. Then I realized that if I use the calendar in my Google account, anything I create online will automatically be synced to my phone and vice versa. So now all that's left to sync are photos and contacts. But now that iCloud is available to everyone with an Apple ID, I am just using iCloud for my online contact and photo storage. I can do away with a physical sync connection to iTunes altogether.

One thing I did not realize is that by connecting my iPhone email to GMail, my iPhone Notes automatically got synced to a Notes folder in GMail. How cool is that?!

I love the cloud..........

No comments: