Wednesday, August 08, 2012

More ice cream? No - frozen yogurt....

Just after filling up with a light lunch on Airdrie's west side, I spied a logo on a storefront that caught my eye. It's shaped like soft ice cream, which isn't a bad thing. I looked closer and discovered that Airdrie is home to a new Frozen Yogurt franchise called Menchie's. I decided to check it out.

Here's the deal. The back wall of the store has about a dozen frozen yogurt dispensers, each dispensing a different flavour of the frozen treat. But the machines serve in pairs, so you can pour single flavours or swirl-mix the pair of flavours (from the same machine). You start with a plain cup or a waffle cup (extra) and pour as much of any flavour(s) of yogurt you want, then head over to the selection of a few dozen toppings. Add as many and as much as you like. Finish it off with some sauce and take your creation to the scale to be weighed. You can easily go overboard at this store - my medium-ish amount with mostly fruit toppings came to almost $6.

But it's so good. I chose a coconut yogurt and topped it with banana chips, maraschino cherries, blueberries and strawberries and caramel sauce. I'm glad I chose a light lunch.

No comments: