Thursday, June 29, 2017

Thoughts on Canada's 150th

On Canada's 150th birthday, I thought I'd list the things I'm grateful for as a Canadian citizen.

P.S.: Montreal also celebrates its 375th birthday this year, something I hope to assist with in short order.


  • I am so thankful that my country is a tolerant one. We recognized gay marriage in 2005 nation-wide. We allow women in combat roles. Racism does exist here, but not to the extreme of other countries.
  • I am happy that for the most part, we welcome refugees and immigrants with open arms. Canada is what it is because of immigration, and the immeasurable diversity newcomers add to our culture is amazing.
  • I love how we are able to make fun of ourselves. If we didn't invent improv, we certainly co-invented it and cultivated it. Our comedians are known and respected around the world and we host the biggest and most respected comedy festival in the world.
  • We invented the telephone; snowmobiles; KD; basketball; gas masks; Hawaiian pizza; jolly jumpers; sonar; ice hockey; the Robertson screwdriver and screw; paint rollers; Trivial Pursuit; canola; the Caesar cocktail; the pacemaker; 5 pin bowling; Pablum; poutine; nanaimo bars; standard time; Tim Hortons; and the Canadarm. 
  • We have a great deal of natural resources. 42% of the land is covered by forest. 3,000,000 fresh water lakes with 20% of the world's fresh water. What's unfortunate is that we still don't manage that water very well. Also, the Rockies - OMG.
  • We don't have to worry about going bankrupt when we go to the doctor or hospital. It doesn't seem like a big deal to us, but talk to an American without insurance and you'll find that it certainly is a big deal.
  • We're very apologetic and polite. Some think this is a weakness. Not me. It's commendable. We also don't tend to try to solve things with violence.
  • I'm proud that I was born in Quebec. I appreciate its distinct culture and civic attitudes.
  • I'm proud of our military, who manage to accomplish so much with so little. Also, we don't invade other countries. My only wish is that we revert back to a primarily peace-keeping and humanitarian role.
  • Our national flag is a lesson in cultural branding. Probably in the top 5 of most recognizable flags in the world.
  • We have likely the most talked about astronaut of this generation - Chris Hadfield.
  • I love that we're about to legalize marijuana nation-wide. If nothing else, this is going to help people with chronic pain. 
  • I'm glad that we don't execute people for crimes. Now if we could just improve our penal system to truly rehabilitate inmates.
  • Our police are pretty chill in the grand scheme of things, and have been known to join in spontaneous music jams, dance-offs, pancake breakfasts, road hockey games, etc.
  • Our politics is fairly civilized. Our politicians usually refrain from personal attacks and stay focused on issues.
  • We have amazing artists.
  • I love how respected we are around the world. When I've travelled and my hosts found out I was from Canada, well. You know.
  • "The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation." ~Pierre Trudeau (1968). That motto rules us to this day.
  • I like that we don't sh#t all over our Constitution.

1 comment:

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Wait! Hawaiian pizza? Maybe I should move to Canada.....